Sunday, February 22, 2009

Peter O'Toole's Oscar Speech

Whattay an eloquent speech. No tears, no thanking the whole world and its aunt. Just plain dignity.  

"... and i am honoured. The magic of movies enraptured me when I was a child. As i totter into antiquity movie magic enraptures me still. Having already bagged this baby, spared uncertainities prior to the opening of an envelope, I am able to think.

I think of our colleagues our old friends, now gone, who played their parts in this earn
I think of the sumptuous talents alive well
I think of the astonishing young, the gifted and able young men and women, of whom i grab energy in handful."

They gave him the Oscar for Lifetime Achievement. He is probably one of the 5 actors who deserved an Oscar for acting, but, alas, never did get it. The other 4 are Barbara Stanwyck (she made it all seem far too easy), Edward G Robinson (a phenomenol powerhouse of acting), Cary Grant (probably because comedy isn't so terribly appreciated by the Academy), Charles Boyer ( it's an unforgivable sin to have denied him one). 

No comments: