Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thucydides said

Thucydides said, "The secret of happiness is freedom. And the secret of freedom, courage"


I often thought that I ranked 'way above average' when it comes to courage. Not the kind of  'let's jump off a cliff for a skinny dip' courage, or 'let's sleep in a haunted house' courage, or 'let's do a 100m bungee jump' courage. Nay, not that kind of courage. 

Rather the kind of courage that doesn't think twice to confront a misbehaving stranger on a bus, the kind who doesnt hesitate to call the cops on some random jerks on the buses trying to molest women, or the kind who doesnt take it low at work be it a colleague, or my boss or his boss if I dont like something (and hence is often not well liked). 

But, at times, I have this nagging doubt that I am courageous not because I am aware of the precariousness and the dangers of my actions, but rather, I am foolish and naive to know of them. Or lack the tact and sauve to tackle the situation. So am I still technically courageous? 

I am confused.

No comments: