Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Necessary Evil

Everytime someone sees me dishing out my cell phone, I have to listen to hilarious comments like:
“What is that prehistoric looking thing in your hand?”

“Your cellphone belongs in the fossils”

“This must have been Jesus’s very own cellphone.”

But I have no plans to abandon it. Not due to love, bur rather due to apathy.

To start with, I did not even want one. For the longest of times, I disliked the ease at which someone could reach me. I disliked the ease at which I could reach someone. I can no longer use the “I called your house, you weren’t home.” excuse. There are days and times, when one doesn’t want to be reached, to be part of the glorious anonymity - for just a couple of minutes. I never understood D when he used to rant on and on about how he wanted to disappear into anonymity. I never could fathom this desire.

Now then I realise, that my not wanting a cellphone was a manifestation of similar feelings. Albeit, of lesser intensity.

But, now then, I am resigned to this necessary evil.

No comments: