Tuesday, November 06, 2007

At Hadleigh Castle

John Constable is often relegated to the back benches when we talk
about great painters. I like him. I don't care if his settings are
usually parochial or too country-ish. I rather spend an evening
looking at his works than getting nightmares over Picasso or Dali's
work. Constable, is a marvellous painter.

To illustrate my point, below is one of his best paintings (imho), At Hadleigh Castle:

Can you hear the gulls cawing? Sense the clouds gliding across the
evening sky? Hear the sheep bleating? Hear the hollow whispers of the
wind in the ruins?

Well, if you don't, its probably because, you are looking at a low
resolution image of a cheap duplicate that I stole from some site.
When you actually stand in Tate Britain gazing at the huge painting,
you shall hear them all.

No comments: