Wednesday, January 30, 2008

O Tempores! O Mores!

There was a time when life held glorious promises. Promise of new lands to explore, of green valleys to wander in, of brooks to wade in, of peaks to scale, of people to inspire, of yarns to spin, of legends to make…. Oh the heady promise of dizzying freedom from winged flight of endless possibilities.

Where have they all gone? What was a burning torch of passion, is now a mere flickering ember. A mere glimmer. A faint tinkle rather than the mad peals of bells. Have too many practical decisions snuffed the magic out of life? Has everyday monotony of a life lived ordinarily taken toll?

Socrates thought that the best advice he could give his friends was to do all things according to their ability. I thought, until and when I find my answers, I have to do just that – make the best of what I have and do all things to the best of my ability, with dignity and integrity.

But, it's not enough. What makes these sorry daily battles worth fighting? What is the prize? Why carry on the long walk when we know that nothing is for keeps and nothing is constant except, death? Why lead an existence that doesn't seem to have a purpose?

These questions aren't original. They have been asked a guzillion million times before me, and will be after me. That's okay.
I also know that some have found answers. Others haven't. That's okay too. But, what's not okay is to put in a half-hearted battle just because the answers don't seem to come. It's criminal disrespect for Life. And lately, over the last couple of years, I have been guilty of this.

Perhaps I have been in an unstimulating environment for too long. Perhaps I need to move on. To get away. To set ablaze to backups, to spit in the face of caution, to reap the wild winds.  Go. Fly. Live.

For now I shall go for my lunch hour walk. Perhaps I shall run into Jedidiah again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Very Wise Man (i.e. Me) once said, the pot of gold and the rainbow are one and the same (yes i know, I'm very insightful).

Point I'm making is, I think all the joy's in the race itself. There's no prize at the end! Yes I will fight for something, but getting that something should not be the reason for my existence. I have to love my daily battles (well most of 'em atleast), else I'm just another dumb rat.

P.S. And if u've had a good fight, you can always write a book on it, sell the movie rights for millions, and retire. See, I can find a monetary reason for everything!