Saturday, February 16, 2008

Caulfield's Complaint Is So Mine!

Sometimes, you come across a few lines which sum up exactly what you think or thought up of except that somebody else had already thought it up 50 years before you did and hatefully, had written it down so much better than you could ever hope to. Sometimes you hate that somebody for that. But most times you feel a certain kinship with that somebody. Well, there were so many many many instances of the later kind while I was reading Catcher In the Rye. Take this excerpt -

"And yet I still act sometimes like I was only about twelve. Everybody says that, especially my father. It's partly true, too, but it isn't all true. People always think that something's all true. I don't give a damn, except that I get bored sometimes when people tell me to act my age. Sometimes I act a lot older than I am -I really do- but people never notice it."

Holden Caulfield's complaint is mine! It is so true. Take how I behave around my folks - childish , pouty, throwing mock tantrums, etc etc the usual 5 year old's behaviour. But, at times of need, I have often been very perceptive and very wise. But, they rarely remember these moments (It is not important whether these moments of wiseness come but rarely. The important thing is whether they come when needed.) Sigh! I suppose one behaves in a certain unique way with every person in one's life.

2 comments:

av said...

I completely understand, it happens with me too :-).

Anonymous said...

Absolutely.. Iv been in many situations myself..but its probably life that..no one has ever noticed wt u want them to and has neither looked away when you dint want..lolz..:)