Tuesday, April 01, 2008

More Native American Wisdom

This time, its Big Elk's wise words -

"Do not grieve. Misfortunes will happen to the wisest and best of men. Death will come, always out of season. It is the command of the Great Spirit, that all nations and people must obey. What is past and what cannot be prevented should not be grieved for ... Misfortunes do not flourish particularly in our lives - they grow everywhere."

Such seemingly simple calming words are difficult when faced with circumstances that the Omaha Indians faced - disease, war, disappearing hunt, intruding white men, pressure to become 'civilized', etc.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

True to the last word.. super blog.. I believe I am hooked :) Good luck!

Eastertide said...

Hi Ram! Thank you :-) You are very welcome. Indu's friend na? Did you manage to do that Alaska trip we talked about?

raj said...

anytime! I am surprised tht you do remember! glad! tx! Well, I just got a job and I am moving to Seattle.. for a v v long time and the best part is, I am going go be closer to Alaska! Might make it this summer! I guess m gonna bug to on tht.. in the mean time.. check out my blog, iv documented a couple of my trips already.. and more to do. Will do soon. Also, Iv take your recommendations on a couple of books from your blog, I am awaiting their arrival from Amazon! thanks for tht! :)

raj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
raj said...

btw.. I did sneak peak on your older blogs..and left comments! I dont wana flatter you now, but this one time... they are awesome! Keep them coming! Your friends blog, Jayesh? are great too! I am kind of finding my lost passions..later then..