Friday, July 18, 2008

New Hands and Old Burdens

There are some very rare days when I read my morning news and I get depressed. Today was one of those days.

Mr Mandela recently said , "It is time for new hands to lift the old burdens; it is in your hands now". These words call for passionate, honourable wisdom. Sounds rather heroic, innit? Well, with all honesty, I dont really feel like carrying these burdens.

These burdens like Oil costing an insane $130 per barrel now when it only cost $40 in 2005.
I saw the price of rice bag I buy double in 3 months.
Terrorism is now a domestic issue for most countries.
War and assorted injustices happening in Iraq and in Afghanistan.
Things dont look so good in Africa. Especially in Zimbabwe and Sudan.
Things dont look so great down in Antarctica either, with that ice shelf collapsing in March and all.
Bird Flu scares are too frequent.
We are exposed to more carcinogens than ever.
The person in front of me in the line in the supermarket asked for double plastic bags for her groceries.

'New hands' have been left a broken world, Mr Mandela. And I just dont know whether these new hands can fix it. It is all very distressing and I need to lie down now. Or some gardening.

Oh hang on a minute, I dont even have a potted plant, let alone a patch of green.

1 comment:

raj said...

Hmm..! I guess what he really means is.. do your bit for the world...