Thursday, May 15, 2008

Not-so Unconditional Faith

I was talking to Jayesh about how faith in God should be independent of the joys and misery God puts us through, that Faith should not be conditional. I scorned people who did otherwise. But after the conversation, I got off my judgmental horse and realised that I was talking pure idealism that even I (gasp!) have not matched up to.

Most human relationships are conditional. We love because we are loved. We help because we are comfortable.  We feed because we are well fed.  I am not making sense am I?  Oh dear, let me try and explain. Did you ever feed someone - a beggar, your child, mother, whoever - when you were going hungry? Do you love your family/partner/dog without expecting something in return? Did you ever donate your (not your dad's, mom's, ancestral) money to a cause you believed in when money was hard to come by? Perhaps not all of us have been in such situations, so lets just simply ask, have you been unconditional? That one glorious shining moment when you realised that right there, in that one microsecond of your 25/45/80 years of your existence, you have been unconditional?

I have examined myself a little. I have faith in God because by and large he has been generous to me. I love my family as they put up with all the torture one goes through to have me around. I donate because I have no great desire to own things with money. So, I suppose, life has been kind enough to allow me the luxury to be an armchair idealist, discussing unconditional faith in God. Others might not. When one goes through what the biblical Job has gone through, one has the right to judge the nature of someone else's belief. Till then, I probably should shut it, and let people believe in God for their own reasons. One's faith is one's private affair.

I apologise. Sincerely.

6 comments:

raj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
raj said...

:) good to know. Being selfless/self-absorbed is extremely tough unless one realises it, which requires a lot of wisdom. In my opinion, "Unconditional" is a VERY big word than it is thought to be. I can vouch for myself when I say, I have been unconditional,mostly at the least, and the bruises that I have in my life are an evidence of it. Its tough, when I actually get to think of it after reading your post, but I swam through until today. I say, if you are,or anyone as a matter of fact, is ready to see the other side of the coin, the harsh reality that expectation is only a though,rather than reality, and can handle the present moment, try being Unconditional. I have a zillion examples to quote,but It wouldnt make the slighest sense, unless one can actually experience it. Goodness, though doesnt give one anything in return, except for perhaps, a feeling, a good feeling. I am happy with that... (sorry for a more than usual long comment :) )

Eastertide said...

Raj! 1. Aye, Unconditional is a very big word. 2. Yes again. It has to be experienced and explaining your moments of being unconditional would diminish their worth.

:-)

raj said...

:) lol.. yea, I am no saint, closer to a sinner, not for the things I have done, but for what I haven't done yet...so I guess I'l just let the moments be..!I'd like to add that, it has been a rough ride..but I have learnt things that I need to, and perhaps, being unconditional isnt such a good idea at all times. Yuck, sometimes I do suck!:)

av said...

This reminds me of the line 'the quality of mercy is not strained' from Merchant of Venice, it is the quality of mercy to show mercy on he who deserves none.

Similarly, it is God's duty to bring joy even with a 'conditional faith' to keep up the quality :) !

Unknown said...

"Most human relationships are conditional.", I would say All (if you dig the reasons behind those relationships which you deem unconditional, from fundamental human nature perspective). But, should we care? why? when that (basking in the seemingly-unconditional-relationship or conditional-relationship for that matter) has no harmful effect(s) both short-term and long-term; and much better, they give great pleasure, can't ask for a better deal!!