Friday, May 09, 2008

Senator Obama on Race

Like the other 10 million blogs, I have decided to do a post on Senator Obama's speech on Race. Anybody who lives on Earth and has access to mass media could not have missed the Race speech he gave a couple of months ago. Like many of us, I was too busy to read the whole transcript. I just read the excerpts on MSNBC and NYT and saw some clips on Youtube. I thought it was a fantastic speech. That was before I read the whole thing.

Yesterday, I decided to read the whole speech. Mid way through, I got so worked up, and eyes began welling up that I knew i had to actually see him utter these magnificent words. So, I went on Youtube and heard him. The whole 37 min.

Gentlemen, anybody who heard this speech and still doubts that he can be the president the world needs to have, should quickly move to Mars.The response was overwhelming. My Oxford roommate, who is a poet, actually wrote a poem about Barack Obama after the speech. Here is one response i found online -

peaceful easy feeling Says:
After Obama wins the presidency this speech will be referred to as his ‘I Have a Dream’ moment.


Some people were more pragmatic -

Ruthless People Says:
A uniting, intelligent, articulate, thoughtful, president who can string two complete sentences together?
That would be Change.

{harika adds - I guess, Michael Moore's 2004 slogan 'Anybody But Bush' lingers}

Anyhoo, I urge you all to read, at the very least, the now famous excerpts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very logical(and of course appealing) speech (by itself) == Great leadership; or so I thought momentarily, but in the cold light of day I would be like, so far so good, but where's the beef?
what's the constituency he's heavily relying on whose agenda his policies would be oriented to.
Relevant:
i. I believe this guy is very inspirational
ii. In the world where your political leaning(that famous one-dimensional one) is immensely important in comprehending every word of your's, I would say I am scared of the far-right but I am at least a tad bit more scared of the far-left.